Swarm Catching – 11

5/5/2016 Update: Today a look in on the hive was disappointing.  There were very few bees and the combs had lots of wax moth webbing and moth larva.   I was suspicious of the viability of this hive as a few days ago, it was observed on the beecam of a sudden explosion of bees coming out of the hive.  That was rare to observe and if they did not return unseen, then the majority of the bees with the queen probably permanently left.  The hive was removed from the apiary and all the frames sterilized by freezing for 24 hours to remove any remaining pest eggs/larva.

4/25/2016 Update: A quick look into the hive today revealed the queen had eaten her way out of the marshmallow plugged queen cage where she was placed from the original flower pot removal.  She was spotted roaming the comb in apparent good health.   As goes the queen so goes the hive!

4/23/2016 We removed a small hive of a few thousand bees from a flower pot located in the back yard of a Lake Park house.   They had just about filled the flower pot with comb.  The last comb removed had the queen on it which we were able to capture.  We removed all the comb and fitted them into 4 frames.  We placed the queen on a frame in a marshmallow plugged cage which should allow the bees to release her in a day or so as they settle into their new home.

Click on any of the pictures below for a larger view.

flower_pot_hive  

 The bees in their up side down flower pot

 

 
queen_from_flower_pot_4  queen_from_flower_pot_3
The captured queen The captured queen closeup
 comb_from_flower_pot_1  comb_from_flower_pot_2
Comb mounted in frames Notice the specially made grab bar that hold the comb in position until the bees “weld” it to the frame.  The grab pins and rubber bands are then gently removed.
   
flower_pot_relocated_to_apiary_1 flower_pot_relocated_to_apiary_2
Hive relocated to the WildFlower apiary.  The entrance is reduced and leafed to promote “reorientation”.  A sugar water feeding bottle is on top to promote comb building.  As with all the hives in the apiary, we use a custom designed hive stand that has a bell (the inside of which is coated with bearing grease) on the support legs which prevents ants from crawling up from the ground and invading the hives — just one less problem for the bees to defend against. In the left picture you can see the live beecam globe that allows remote viewing of various hives’ activities…… we like to keep a close eye on the newcomers to the yard.