Swarm Catching – 5

3/23/2016 Update……An inspection of the hive revealed a busy queen and a good brood population with lots of larva.

3/11/2016 We put our bee vac to use today and removed a large hive located in an empty compost bin.  It took about 4 hours, but all together I think we vacuumed up 15-20 thousand bees.  We cut to size and positioned the brood comb into frames, filling a brood box.  Here is the hive after positioning in our apiary.  We will do a hive inspection in a week or so and see if we have a good hive.

bees_in_compost_bin

Original location of bees in an empty compost bin
on the side of a house,
Hive relocated to brood boxes in our apiary.
click on pictures for larger view